Today we take a trip to the Veneto region of Italy to explore the culinary traditions of this beautiful region. Join us as we learn how to make a classic Italian dish that’s perfect for springtime: Risi e Bisi aka Rice and Peas. We will guide you through the recipe step-by-step, from sautéing onions with bacon to cooking Arborio rice with fresh, tender peas and broth. You’ll learn tips and tricks for achieving the perfect creamy texture and rich flavor that Risi e Bisi is known for. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, this episode is sure to inspire you to try your hand at making this delicious and comforting Italian dish at home. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Risi e Bisi Recipe (Italian Rice and Peas)
- 8-10 Cups Broth (Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, etc)
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 6-8 Strips Bacon Cooked
- 2+ Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
- 1 Bag Thawed, Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- ¼-½ Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Melt your butter with olive oil in a medium saucepan. When the butter foams, add onions, bacon, and parsley.
- Saute over medium heat until bacon is lightly browned.
- Add peas and 1/3 broth. Cook 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- In a second pan, bring remaining broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice. Cook uncovered over high heat 8 to 10 ninutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion mixture. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is tender but firm to the bite.
- Stir in remaining butter and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot with additional parmesan cheese.