Today we’re showing you how to make a classic General Tso’s Chicken in the Air Fryer. This recipe tastes exactly like something you get from your local Chinese restaurant. We make this with our Ninja Foodi Two Basket Air Fryer but you can make it with any air fryer. Enjoy the flavors of this tasty dish and the simplicity of the air fryer.
Air Fried General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
An easy way to make General Tso's Chicken in the Air Fryer!
- 1 Wok Optional
- 1 Pound Boneless, skinless, chicken thigs Cut into 1 to 1¼ inch pieces
- 1 Large Egg Beaten
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoon Cornstarch
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1½ Tablespoons Canola Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Peeled Fresh Giner
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Unseasoned Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Scallions or Green Onions Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- ½ to 1 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds Roasted
- Pat chicken dry. Combine chicken and egg in a large bowl; toss to coat. In another bowl, combine ½ cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Using a fork, transfer chicken to cornstarch mixture; stir to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 290°F. Transfer chicken to air fryer, leaving space between pieces. Cook for 15 minutes, shaking every 5 minutes. Let dry 3 to 5 minutes. If chicken is still damp, cook 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Heat canola oil and red pepper flakes in a skillet over medium. Add ginger and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Whisk together broth, soy sauce, ketchup, sugar, rice vinegar, and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch; stir into skillet. Increase heat to medium high, and cook until mixture begins to bubble. Add chicken, and stir to coat. Cook until thickened, about one minute and 30 seconds. Turn off heat; stir in 1 tablespoon scallions and sesame oil. Top with sesame seeds and remaining 1 tablespoon scallions.
We like to serve ours with rice as a side! It’s also helpful to make this with a wok. Some people also like adding 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. If you do this, add it when you add the ginger.