We love beef barley stew! The barley adds so much texture and thickness to this meal. We really love this recipe because it makes great leftovers!
Instant Pot Beef Barley Stew Recipe
- 3 chopped onions
- 1-1.5 lbs mushrooms cut in quarters
- 3 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2.5 lbs of beef chuck cut into large chunks
- 1 qt beef broth
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups pearl barley
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a pan, brown the beef chuck chunks, salt meat to your liking at this point.
- Put olive oil in Instant Pot and sauté your onions, mushrooms, & celery.
- Add browned meat into your Instant Pot, on top of the sautéed veggies.
- Add barley, carrots, beef broth, & chicken broth.
- Stir well & cover Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot on high pressure for 40 min, with quick release.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!
If you want this recipe meatier, please add less barely. When you brown your meat, make sure to do this in two batches so you don’t overcrowd your pan. It is very important to quick-release this on the Instant Pot because the barley will become mushy very quickly if you don’t. On the 2nd day, this stew will be even thicker! The barley takes in all the water. If you don’t have pearl barely, but you do have Quick Cook Barley you can still use this. Do everything the same, just don’t add the barley. Once you have cooked the meat with the broth and veggies you can add in your quick-cook barley and cook on sauté mode. You can add your carrots either at the beginning or cook them separately if you don’t want them too mushy – it’s a personal preference and depends on what you are cooking that day!