How to make a quick and tasty Italian chicken and sausage casserole! This simple casserole recipe is healthy, delicious, and filled with great flavors. The casserole includes chicken, Italian sausage, tomato sauce, polenta, mushrooms, cheese, and more! Enjoy this delicious casserole recipe straight from Italy 🙂
Italian Chicken and Sausage Casserole Recipe!
- 9×11 Casserole Dish (not a huge dish)
- 3 Italian Hot Sausage Cooked and sliced
- 3 Cups Chicken Cooked and diced
- 1 Pound Mushrooms Sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Cups Meatless Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 4 Cups Water Cold
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Place all of the polenta ingredients in a non-stick pot. Mix it with a whisk on medium-high until it starts to bubble. Then, put the heat on medium-low and mix every 5 minutes. From the beginning to the end it should take 30 minutes. You will know when the polenta is done when it no longer sticks to the side of the pan.
- Pour your polenta into a casserole dish and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- If you haven't already, cook your chicken and Italian sausage.
- Spoon your sausage and chicken on top of the polenta.
- Sauté mushrooms in oil or butter (around 5 minutes) and lay on top of chicken and polenta.
- Spread tomato sauce over everything. Sprinkle parmesan on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes. Make sure the casserole is uncovered.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you are short on time, cook your chicken and sausage the night before. It makes everything go by faster! Also, you can buy a rotisserie chicken if you don’t have time to cook chicken.