Today we bring you an Italian dish and a Romanian dish! The best of both worlds 🙂 Technically, this is a combo of a Romanian dish called Zacusca and an Italian dish called Caponata. They’re both so similar in how they are prepared that we combined them into one super dish! This is loaded with delicious veggies and goes absolutely great with bread (maybe wait for next week’s video if you want this with some really good bread, hints of fun things to come). Enjoy this one!
Italian Vegetable Spread (Caponata or Zacusca) Recipe
- 2 Large Eggplants
- 2 Onions
- 4 Red Peppers or 2 Red & 2 Yellow
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- Take your two large eggplants, peel them, and cut them into small chunks. Put them in a colander. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of salt and let it sit for one hour for the water to be removed from the eggplants. Drain the eggplants and then placed the tray in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 400°. Remove from the oven and wait for the next steps.
- Dice two onions, and sauté them for approximately seven minutes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 4 tablespoons of oil. Put them on the side and wait for the rest of the ingredients.
- Four red peppers, or two red and two yellow peppers, diced and then also sauté them separately in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 5 tablespoons of oil. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Grate 2 carrots and sauté them with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of oil for about 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients into one large pot and pour in 1 cup of tomato sauce. Cook everything for about 30 minutes to an hour on medium-low with 1/4 cup oil. Serve and enjoy!