I learned how to make this easy and delicious Thai soup from a friend of mine who is from Thailand (Thank you Moo for this amazing recipe!). She came over to my house (pre-Covid) and showed me all of these tricks that I am sharing with you! I have never used lemongrass in a soup or used any of the sauces that are needed for this recipe. All of these ingredients can be found at your local Asian market.
The Lemongrass truly makes this recipe amazing. It has a wonderful smell that fills the entire house and gives the soup the most amazing taste.
Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Lemongrass Soup) Recipe
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 can straw peeled mushrooms
- 4-5 cups water water
- 1 8 oz pack of fresh mushrooms
- 1 chicken breast with bone In
- 3 chicken thighs
- 6 stalks lemon grass
- 1 piece ginger grated
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp mushroom sauce
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp tuong Gia vi sauce
- Add water, coconut milk, grated ginger, smashed lemongrass, and chicken into the soup pot.
- Stir and let everything cook on medium until chicken is done – about 20 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and sauces, stir. We also decided to debone the chicken breast, cube the chicken and put it back in. But you can keep it on the bone if you want!
- Cook on low for another 10 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and enjoy!